Friday, July 10, 2009

Enough, Already

Look, I know I lean more to the right than to the left on most things, but please, I'd like to ask one thing. Could right-wing America PLEASE stop referring to our President as "Barack Hussein Obama?" It's not like there's another prominent Barack Obama out there and we need to distinguish this one. The only purpose it serves is to subtly and passive-aggressively intimate that he is somehow linked with the Middle East or to some Arabic descent, and that this somehow makes him unfit to lead our nation.


HUSSEIN! That's his middle name! Hussein! He shares a name with a former Iraqi dictator to whom he can't possibly be related! That's all the proof we need! He's secretly Muslim and hates America! And if he's Muslim, he's a terrorist! He's harboring terrorists! He IS a terrorist! For heaven's sake, look at the middle name, it's all RIGHT THERE!!!! REMEMBER 9/11!!!

Never mind the fact that Hussein is basically the Arabic equivalent of "Smith." It's not like this is an uncommon name for someone, especially when a full sixth (or more) of the world is either Muslim or of some Arabic/African descent...

It makes me truly sick to see such insidious, cowardly, and willfully ignorant behavior from a member of a nation that espouses religious freedom. I can get over Bill O'Reilly or somebody like that taking such a route for sensationalism's sake. It's something I just blame on media culture and move on. But from someone who has nothing to gain from it, that disturbs me to no end. Look, I'm not the guy's biggest fan, but really...it's a middle name, people. Come on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Seriously, it's so incredibly annoying. I'm so sick of everyone thinking our country is doomed now. I don't think that at all. We've had a lot of president's & each one is criticized no matter their race, age, or religion. People need to focus on the real issues in America! Not stupid crap like this!

Teresa Stubbs said...

Yeah my middle name is SARS. So when people find out they dont want to hang out with me any more.

Amanda said...

The silliest thing to me is that it takes away from any valid complaints his opponents might have. I'm super liberal, but when I get annoyed at what Obama does, I don't look for random things about him that are ultimately meaningless, I look for actual actions.