I just had my birthday the other day which means, aside from the obligatory cake, gifts, and trio of rented midgets in leiderhosen following me around town and singing my praises, several old friends (and some people I hardly know) came out of the woodwork to wish me a happy 24th in the time honored tradition of posting on my Facebook wall. (Although I actually got a real-live email, a text, and a couple phone calls too! Who says we're getting too impersonal as a society?) Anyway, I realized that I haven't kept up with many of my friends as much as I would have liked, and a few expressed the same sentiment as well. After all, we're all busy working, studying, and so on, some of us are thousands of miles apart, etc. It's an understandable (however unfortuante) aspect of growing up. So I figured I'd take a little time and post my recent significant goings-on on my handy dandy blog for all the world to see (mostly because I'm legitimately sick of going over the monstrosity of a medical report sitting on my desk.
First off, for those of you who are exceptionally far out of the loop, I just finished my first year of law school, perhaps the most distressing, hellish, unnerving, yet wonderfully beautiful experience of my life. I moved to Boston to go to Boston College Law School, taking up residence with ten other Mormon dudes just outside downtown in a house in Cambridge affectionately referred to as the "crack house" by my local church congregation, due to its exceptionally dreary appearance (which is largely thanks to an absentee landlord who doesn't give a crap about the place). But it was insanely cheap, and for a law student on loans, cheap=awesome. My first year went all right, I'm about in the middle of the pack as far as grades go, and I was fortunate enough to land an internship with the Boston Public Defender's Office, doing assorted research assignments and errands. I'm learning a lot and loving every minute.
I also moonlight a few nights a week as a manager at an upscale desserterie called Finale, located in the Coolidge Corner district. Great place, great people, and enough chocolate to make Willie Wonka wet himself. I'm pretty sure more than a few people have come in healthy and left diabetic, but at least they have smiles on their faces. Really good stuff; if you're ever in Boston, definitely drop in sometime.
I love Boston. If houses weren't so expensive they required my firstborn and a pint of blood as collateral to a down payment, I'd say I found my new home. Yeah, winter can be a bit brutal, but if you can take Texas summers, you can take Boston winters like nobody's business. Besides, the snowboarding here isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. It might not be good per se, but it's not bad. Plus, there's just so much to do here it's mind-boggling. The amount of American history I pass just to get to work is staggering, Fenway park and the Garden are just surreal experiences, Boston Common is beyond a great place to hang out, and you could eat out at a different restaurant every day for 3 years and not get halfway through all the fare this town has to offer. Throw in some great forests, mountains, or beaches, many within 3 hours of town, and there's enough to keep you occupied here for a very long time.
And finally, the one thing everyone asks, yes, I have a girlfriend. Marisa and I have been dating for over 8 months now and it's been a great experience beyond what I could have expected. I wouldn't be nearly as positive about everything without her around, and I'm grateful we're together.
So there you have it my friends. Give me a shout if any of y'all wanna catch up at some point.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Since Facebook "status" is a line or two at most...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so glad your first year went well! Congrats to you and Marissa making it 8 months! That's really great!
great post, Todd. Sounds like you're having a good time out in Beantown. I suppose youza rooting for da C's in da Finals? Sorry about the Mavs.
Tell Marissa hi from a brotha from anotha motha
that must be so neat to study in Boston. Definitely one of the US cities to visit on my top 10 list. So are you enjoying your internship? I know someone who wanted to be a PD until he interned at the PD office. He is now a Prosecuting attorney! ha
I know I am late commenting on this post, but I want to catch up! Can we?
Raydo
Post a Comment