Let me be the first to admit that I do not have a theological degree. Most religious scholars spend years of intensive study in seminary. My "seminary" consisted of sleeping through an hour of scripture study every morning throughout high school. My only legitimate claim to cannonical understanding is two-fold: first, I lived the monastic life for two years in a barren wasteland with my scriptures as my only reading material. Second, as Paul teaches us, true scritpural interpreation can only be had through the reception of the Holy Ghost. I claim that privilege so long as I live worthy of it.
That being said, I do know one fundamental thing about the Bible, and with my dearth of knowledge and experience in relation to the rest of the world, it distresses me that the majority of Christianity, and certainly most of the media-hogging ones, do not understand this one thing. Allow me to expound by example.
I once heard a man say that practicing a homosexual lifestyle was acceptable in the eyes of God. (Tangent: To my understanding, being gay, as in having homosexual tendencies, is not blasphemy, nor is it sinful. But living and acting on those impulses, and pursuing such a lifestyle is offensive to God.) It's fair to say that most of Christianity condemns the homosexual lifestyle because the New Testament clearly takes the stance that it is offensive to God and sinful. His rationale in justifying homosexuality, though, was that even though the Bible condemned it, it also condemns eating shellfish, and Christianity doesn't poo-poo that idea, now does it? Essentially, if X and Y are both bad according to Z, then if one becomes acceptable, the other must as well. Convincing logic, no? (Actually, not really, but it's still persuasive, I'll grant you that.)
I heard Obama taking the same kind of approach with some recent comments he made about scripture and its place among our mixed society. Now, unlike a lot of people, I don't expect my civic leaders to share my spiritual views or even claim a religion. So I'm still voting for the guy even though he's exemplifying the same tattered logic I've just outlined. It's the same logic that sectarians use to marginalize the Bible and downplay its importance or relevance. And unfortunately, it's also the argument many Christians use to reconcile their own thoughts and desires to the mandates of Holy Canon.
But I digress; on to my main point. It's a fundamental fact contained in the Bible that the prohibitions of the Mosaic Law (eating shellfish, wearing your hair a certain way, etc.) were completely eradicated with the Atonement of Jesus Christ, insofar as the doctrine of Christ did not repeat them. The end of the Mosaic Law was foretold as early as it was given, and Christ proclaimed as much during his ministry. The whole Bible centers around that distinction! I have no idea why more people don't understand this. It's extremely unfortunate and more than a little aggravating.
If we accept that fact (THE big fact of the Bible being Jesus' Atonement, if you ask me), it's perfectly fine for "the Bible" to condemn things like eating shellfish in the Old Testament because the doctrine of Christ does not prohibit it in the New. Whereas, things like murder or adultery are expressly prohibited in both laws, so in that sense, the Mosaic mandate is still in force by virtue of its extension in the doctrine of Christ. As to the homosexuality theory, I put living a homosexual life in the latter category as still being in force.
And for all of you who love calling people "intolerant" when we express our personal religious views, let me remind you that I have no problem with gay people. Many are my friends and they're wonderful individuals. These are my views and mine alone, I don't speak for anybody else or any group. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong and I'm willing to change. I don't hate anyone, I don't wish ill upon anyone. Save your outrage for Don Imus.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Understanding the Bible
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Deut 4:2"Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you."
Deut 12:32 "See that you do all I command you and do not add to it or take away from it."
Deut 13 - If a prophet comes with miraculous signs and wonders and leads you against these commands, do not listen to him, he is a false prophet, I am testing you.
Romans 10:6-8 "...do not say in your heart 'Who will ascend into heaven?' (that is to bring Christ down) ..."
(This is a direct quote from Deut 30:12-14) "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heave to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?"
Deut 30 is speaking of the Torah, or more specifically of the Law. Paul says that Jesus is the Law in the flesh. How can Jesus abolish himself? John 1 also connects Jesus with the Law in the flesh.
How can a latter Text nullify an earlier Text? That runs contrary to proper Hermeneutics. If the books of Moses say these laws can not be added to or taken away from, then how can Jesus or Paul take away from the Law? If Jesus nullified parts of the Law, then he is breaking the law. If he breaks any part of the Law, then how can he live it perfectly and be our sacrifice?
Jesus and Paul don't nullify the Law, they uphold the Law. Matt 5:17; Acts 21:17-24.
Stephen was killed because he was accused of, “They produced FALSE witnesses who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against … the law. For we have hard him say that this Jesus….will change the customs Moses handed down to us.” Acts 6:13-14.
Was Stephen killed based on false accusations or true ones? Luke says they were false.
I only comment like this for you to maybe, if you are willing, to ask more probing questions before you assume that your statement that “It's a fundamental fact contained in the Bible that the prohibitions of the Mosaic Law were completely eradicated with the Atonement of Jesus Christ, insofar as the doctrine of Christ did not repeat them.” Is correct.
Sean Daily
Post a Comment