Friday, July 11, 2008

Top Ten Reasons I Love the Public Defender's Office



So, when I got the offer to work at the Public Defender's I took it, mostly because it was the first place that offered me a position. When I got the invite to interview with the State office, I was, of course, kicking myself for having taken the job. But, as it turns out, I love this place. And here's why, in no particular order:




  1. Strict 9-5. And by strict I mean, "come in at 9, leave whenever you want."


  2. Most interns spend their days buried in paperwork, writing memos about dreary legal theories (see: the awe-inspiring "mailbox rule" or "adverse possession). I interview clients in jail. Ooo-rah.


  3. Eating Herrera's on the Common. Best Mexican in the city, says this Texan.


  4. Some people just think cops are jerks. We prove it.


  5. I've gotten a crash course in Evidence before taking the actual class. If I don't get an A in that course now, it'll be a massive disappointment.


  6. Actually using my Spanish.


  7. The greasy-spoon pizza joint 3 doors down.


  8. Traipsing around downtown looking for a homeless man to tell him to be in court the next day.


  9. Going back to the same place to find said homeless man when he doesn't show up to court.


  10. If I liked criminal law before, I love it now. This place is awesome.

No comments: